Tuesday, March 07, 2006

the "what i'm listening to" part, carried over from before

I guess it might get a little confusing with the two of us around here. Heacox and I, that is. I didn't develop another personality.

Anyway.

After being tipped of by b--- via his site, I started checking out last.fm, a website which adds a social networking-ish interface to your listening habits. Using audioscrobbler to pick up data from your iTunes, WinAmp, WhatHaveYou music player, it compiles all sorts of nifty charts based on what you've played -- top weekly/overall artists and songs. A la Flickr you can tag all your music, and even generate personal radio-players based on these tags. Once you've listened to 300 tracks, it tells you who your "neighbours" are based on similarities in musical tastes.

So, I signed up.

Do I like having this stuff public? Meh. Not totally. I've joked about automated psychiatric evaluations based on iTunes "most played tracks" lists. If I listen to too much... say, Elliot Smith, will this drive up my costs for health/life insurance in the future?!

Also, I do listen to my iPod a lot at work, so you also miss out on what I've been karaoke-ing when sequestered away in the privacy of our cell culture room. A shame, indeed.

Anyway, read 'em and weep. Or cheer. Go through an array of emotions.

I was pretty interested in generating the recommmendation/neighbor lists, so I immediately threw on a few massive playlists made for past parties, and let 'em run. Not being an organized audiophile by nature, I enjoy all this automated compiling. It's like, hey! Look what my CD racks might look like if I... well, kept CDs in cases on a rack!

I'm not too big on tagging stuff or making lists but I noticed a popular tag was "seen live" -- so I did do a bunch of artist-page-hopping and started upthat tally.

The shoutbox commentey thing is on over there, too, for ongoing discussions of listening habits.

That's all.

In other news, I had an insomniac attack last night: fell asleep at 12ish, woke at 2ish, read college textbooks and dusted for several hours, then, desperate for sleep, pharmacologically self-enhanced at 6ish to force an hour or so more of rest. Hopefully I'll be able to crash early tonight.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa. Might could need to try that.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006 10:57:00 PM  
Blogger caseymichael said...

I want a Last.Fm for the books I'm reading.

Uh . . . Book.Pg!

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 8:42:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker
.... ----