Sunday, March 19, 2006

updates (assorted)

Been having insomniac issues consistently these past few weeks. I think this current bout of it is coming on due to the undercurrent of "what am i doing with my life" and "when am i doing it" anxiety running beneath the surface. And above the surface. There's been a major upswing in how many times I get asked about this. I guess I'm not the only one who remembers that my program averages 5.5 years and it's, surprise, 5.5 years + 1 month in.

Honestly, things are going well, but my hopes of end-of-summer graduation aren't looking too feasible. So, I'm now using December as my target.

This still doesn't answer the question of what I'm doing afterwards. And I don't have a definitive answer. I feel faced with the "best" possible dilemma right now -- having many oppprtunities and choices. Getting ready to write a new chapter -- but what's it going to be about?

I have a list drafted in my mind. As it becomes a little bit more coherent, I'll share.

But not now.

Back to trivial stuff.

I'm in month four of the no-new-book kick (explanation in an earlier post, not in the mood to dig for it right now) and I randomly picked up Rabbit, Run. I hardly remember any of it, except for Rabbit's surname. (Because it's SCIENCEy.)

Anyway, as I'm reading, I'm noticing my unannotated underlining, and I keep asking myself, why did I underline this? For some of it, I must have been discussing some religious theme, because words like "prayer" and "Dalai Lama" are circled. I feel this urge to discuss this book all over again. Does anyone else have this problem? Or, did everyone actually take coherent, time-resistant notes in class?

On the related topic of things that start in March and are related to basketball (coincidence!) I'm enjoying two full days of (most likely short-lived) bracket domination. Better than an office pool is the "people I used to work with, and a few others scattered around the country" pool. Because when you only play for bragging rights, you really brag extra hard, not only leading to amusingly obnoxious bulletin board posts, but the unity which comes when you have lots of reasons to make fun of one another. Aww.

OK. This is way too long.

But there you go, that's some of what I'm up to.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look, I was just making casual conversation when I asked if you got your PhD yet :) At least you didn't almost get arrested this weekend. http://www.thnt.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060321/NEWS/603210325/1001

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 3:23:00 AM  
Blogger caseymichael said...

Post PhD, forget fancy job . . . become lingerie model!

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 10:04:00 AM  
Blogger trixievw said...

i just finished re-reading rabbit, too!!!! and then i followed it up with #2 in the series, rabbit redux. we should compare our underlining since it may prove to be that we picked stuff brightman emphasized... but that might ruin the mystery...

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 2:31:00 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

dee: tee hee!

heidi: i'm going to be sending you study questions! it's virtua-book-club!

Monday, March 27, 2006 5:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker
.... ----