Friday, March 24, 2006

on roller derby

I've considered whether or not I've got roller derby potential. Ignoring the fact that I haven't skated in forever, and focusing on that word "potential." Weighing qualities such as physical ability (as they exist now, or with training,) attitude, kick-ass-ness, and spunk... or lack there of? Do I have it in me? Hm.

Thought of this a few months back when I caught a couple of episodes of Rollergirls. Reminded more recently during my "commute" in when I passed a flyer for a roller derby league in Nashville (probably new; haven't heard too much of it otherwise.)

Just thinkin'.

More tamely, I am looking forward to tonight and feeding this long-standing urge to go bowling. Yay, bowling.

7 Comments:

Blogger aimee said...

Strange you should mention it. I was seriously considering joining the Philly Roller Girls. I went to sign up and everything, but they practice on Mondays and Wednesdays, and I work late on those days. It would have been so cool to be a roller derby librarian. Damn!
We do have a Oglethorpe alumnus who is a Philly Roller Girl already!

Saturday, March 25, 2006 9:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

becoming a roller girl is like the most competitive activity at our age group that you could wish for. you as well go to hollywood and be cast in the starring role in coupland's movie adaptation of Life After God. you wish the impossible.

Sunday, March 26, 2006 9:09:00 PM  
Blogger hermance said...

How strange. I was thinking the same thing. Except now that I am moving to Austin, the home of the Rollergirls series, I think my lame skating skills would eliminate me upon sight.

A, who is the Philly petrel in roller derby?

Monday, March 27, 2006 7:45:00 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

a: Roller derby librarian does sound cool!

b: didn't you hear? i've been cast as the...

c: (i mean, hermance) ... uh, nothing really. but thanks for validating my thought, along with a. :)

Monday, March 27, 2006 5:36:00 PM  
Blogger aimee said...

Stephanie Mannis is a Philly Roller Girl. I actually ran into her at this year's Tattoo Convention. She was promoting the Roller Girls and I walked up to join. Small world.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 9:11:00 AM  
Blogger caseymichael said...

Why--!

What a coincidence!

I was just thinking of joining a Rollergirls Team, too!

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 10:08:00 AM  
Blogger hermance said...

dee, you would make an awesome rolly derby girl.

after watching the final three episodes yesterday, I really want to get a pair of old school skates, but I don't know where to get them. Maybe the internets will help me.

Monday, April 03, 2006 9:32:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker
.... ----