Thursday, November 10, 2005

NERDS!

I just gave a talk on my research. It went OK. I forgot to spit my gum out beforehand. Which was annoying, because I'm talking and thinking, Please don't let me accidentally spit this out while talking, or subconsciously start chewing noticeably. Can you imagine? I feared I was punctuating my slide changes with gum snaps. I asked The Advisor and The Postdoc afterwards, and thankfully they said they didn't notice anything.

So, there's some etiquette advice for you, from me: don't give a presentation while chewing gum.

That talk pretty much marks the last of Stuff To Do At Lab Before This Conference (well, okee, a little bit of paperwork today and cell feeding tomorrow morning, but that's it) Now I get to do non-data-involving prep work for the big brain bonanza in DC. (OK, spinal cord and PNS bonanza too)

Confirmed my flight and hotel stuff yesterday already (which is good, because my hotel changed names since I booked the reservation.) And besides planning my itinerary, I need to do housekeepingy things like packing... and hopefully find a new pair of non-scrubby shoes. I still haven't fixed my heel on my nicer, black, good for walking boots. All other footwear is either impractical or run-into the ground.

On that note, let me wrap up here and hit the stores lest I have to wear knee-high boots (I've done this under slacks actually, at the last winter conference I went to) or Chacos.

...or not.

The good thing about giving a good, inspiring talk is that the boss is all excited about my work (yay, very good) We just started talking about grander implications and coming up with models for what's happening (also good.)

But he came up with this idea how to add extra stuff to my poster so instead of shopping I'm gonna Adobe Illustrate some endoplasmic reticulae now. (They will look like... circles. Or boxes.)

I suggested making a diorama in a shoebox as further supplemental data, but he did not think that was as funny as I did.

4 Comments:

Blogger trixievw said...

I HEART NERDS!

Thursday, November 10, 2005 7:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooooooo...diorama. I think that's a fantbulous idea. A much underutilized concept in science...similar to the pie chart or venn (Venn?)diagram though much more dramatic.

Thursday, November 10, 2005 9:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The danger of having a blog with travel information on it is that the folks in D.C. know you're coming to town..I know you're here somewhere....I'll find you.

Friday, November 11, 2005 3:58:00 PM  
Blogger caseymichael said...

For your next presentation, why not cut your fingernails? Or apply make-up? Or take your shoes off?

Monday, January 09, 2006 11:43:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker
.... ----