Monday, October 31, 2005

you look so absurd, you look so obscene

Halloween... traditionally, one of my favorite holidays. However, my zest for halloweening has been steadily declining -- due to apathy? soul-sucking aspects of growing old? who knows. -- I just haven't been up to speed in coming up with creative costume ideas. This year I used two different last minute jobbies, both of which weren't even mine. Thursday, got some "Hello my name is" tags and wrote different names on them, wore them all, and went as an identity crisis. (Via Google) Sad, I know. Yesterday, an idea cribbed from someone at a 727Myrtle party, the generic Price is Right contestant (I don't even remember whose costume this was.) So much for originality.

I actually sat down and wrote a list of my past costumes, just mulling over past 'weens, and their corresponding photos (I have a LOT.)

While a full illustrated retrospective would take too long, I figured I could at least share one... So, here you go, an idea born out of a discussion with Dan H. about how so many ska bands have the word "SKA" in their names, like SKAnkin' Pickle and.... uh, The Toasters. Er, no. Uhm....the PieTasters. No. OK, I can't think of any more right now. But I swear, there seemed to be a bunch at the time. Anyway, true to our geeky liberal-artsy-fartsy selves, we were The PhiloSKAphers. Yes, we were. And we had nametags reading "NietzchSKA" and "DeSKArtes" and "SKAcrates"... I forget the others. But yes, we did. $10 spent on plaid shit at Salvation Army, and you're done.

See?






Y mas aquĆ­. (Why I just used two different photo-uploading thingees, I don't know. I am that A.D.D., I guess.)

Speaking of which, back to making figures for my poster (woo-hee!)

Happy halloween kids.

8 Comments:

Blogger trixievw said...

AriSKAtle (Regnier)
ZarathuSKA (my ex)
Gwen Stephani, even though she's not really a philosopher (Dan, though I am guessing that's one's pretty easy to spot)

hee hee

damn my coat was GREEEEEEN!

Monday, October 31, 2005 9:44:00 AM  
Blogger Daniel H. said...

Wasn't it Gwen SKAphani?

This was hilarious. I think I still have the plaid jacket I didn't wear that night.

And Nicole, just to support the "s-k-a in the name" thing, Cara has the compilation CD called "California SKA-Quake," which pretty much takes that to the extreme.

Monday, October 31, 2005 12:50:00 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

What?! The word "ska" doesn't even SOUND like or SLANT RHYME with "earth."

I'm sure a college somewhere teaches a philosophy of No Doubt.

Or not.

SKAtellites! I remembered another!

Monday, October 31, 2005 1:13:00 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

OK. I don't know why I didn't just google "ska band names" earlier...

but anyway, this is funny: http://www.i-mockery.com/ska/ska-bands.htm

I'm really going to go back to work now.

Monday, October 31, 2005 1:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

at least you have a poster to make figures for. :( sniff...sniff.

Wednesday, November 02, 2005 10:20:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok darlin'

I saw it with my own eyes.

You got your wish! Sephora's going to open at the Green Hills Mall!

Wednesday, November 02, 2005 8:10:00 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Hot damn. Sephora. Here. I'll be made up, perfumey, and broke in no time.

Sunday, November 06, 2005 11:15:00 PM  
Blogger caseymichael said...

Reecently, I've become infautated with the writings of SKA-lan Watts.

*titter*

Monday, November 07, 2005 10:10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker
.... ----