Friday, August 05, 2005

of interest to the fellow academia types

I naturally found this article, about faculty candidates and their blogs, to be pretty interesting: The Chronicle of Higher Education: Bloggers Need Not Apply

(via Paul @ "Chasing...".)

The article's chock full o' andecotal evidence of why faculty-larvae should not keep blogs.

Or their friends, as the author writes:
"In this case, it was not the candidate's own blog, but that of a boasting friend, that revealed the truth. The lesson? Be careful what you let a close associate's blog say about you. What that associate sees as complimentary may cast you in an unflattering light in the eyes of a search committee."

That statement is funny on a variety of levels. "what you let a close associate's blog say." Like that's under my jurisdiction. C'mon now. (besides everyone I know who keeps blogs, also, ref: to long-time readers: the friend audit comes to mind.)

Anyway, as it applies to me, here? Well, I'm not sure. First of all, it's too late for me to do anything about it, I suppose. Second, and perhaps I'm being naive here, but just as I've read some folks' blogs and thought "Whoa. That person [I know from elsewhere] really does suck, after all." I've also thought, "Wow! That person is pretty cool. I'd like to get to know him/her better and talk about X [random, not obvious interest/area of expertise.]"

So, that's me on the bright side of my future lack of employment.
(Note to future search commitees: That statement is a joke. It is not intended to indicate inadequacy or lack of self-confidence. It is supposed to be funny.)

Anyway, just thought I'd share.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker
.... ----