Sunday, June 12, 2005

on music festivals which I do not attend

Earlier this month I contemplated escaping town to Atlanta this weekend (lured in part by the Music Midtown lineup) but decided not to, mostly for finance/work reasons... but also assuming that Bonnaroo traffic would get in the way. So it turns out I'm in town for (I think) the first time ever during this hoedown. Not like I was avoiding it on purpose in the past -- just never happened to be around.

But not like I'm having any part in it now. My roommate's report ("It's a redneck meat market on the street down there!") and reading these highly entertaining play-by-plays (full of performers I've never heard of) are as close to the action I've gotten. It sounds dreadfully frightening.

Dr. D. and I did discuss attending Bonnaroo. Just because it's there. But then I started thinking logically. Crowds, hippies, traffic, the jam bands, my camping naivete -- and paying for this experience seemed wholly less appealing -- so I changed my tune to "You'd have to pay me to go!"

Of course, then a friend emailed to see if D. and I wanted to work a booth and, yep, get paid to go. And we still decided to pass. I'm such an old fart.

As far as I can recall, actually, I've never been to a music festival of any sort. Music Midtown, Lollapalooza, Siren fest, Big Day Out -- nope, nope, nope, nope. I have thought more than a few times, why should I have to endure some bands I don't like, to get to see the ones I do, in seemingly unpleasant venues? Gosh. That sure sounds stupid out loud.

So, yeah, a free Lillith Fair sampler in Bryant Park, I think, is as close I've ever gotten to music festival-attendance. Totally weird, huh? I'll get around to it, if just so I can complain about such events with conviction and legitimacy in the future.

4 Comments:

Blogger trixievw said...

no offense to any who might read this and be offended - but there is nothing to be missed at music midtown. interpol and the beatles could be playing that festival and i wouldn't set foot in the gate. the "patrons" are all drunken teenagers who chatter and mosh through any performance... even if it's keane.

Monday, June 13, 2005 1:22:00 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

What, Keane doesn't make you want to slam dance!?

I haven't used the phrase "slam dance" in ten years. Hee.

Anyway, I thought you went? (or was that the point?)

Monday, June 13, 2005 4:30:00 PM  
Blogger caseymichael said...

During last year's Winter Music Conference, I misjudged at what point in the very early AM Danny Tenaglia would begin spinning. As a result, I had to endure a horrendous set by Victor Calderone. Dismayed, I almost hid in the bathroom.

Monday, June 13, 2005 4:40:00 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

If you do go, I'd guess the best way to deal is to be in some sort of altered state the entire weekend. Another drawback of *working* a festival, too -- having to remain sober.

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 10:25:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker
.... ----