Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Is that a hint?

A coworker has been routinely bringing in self-help books to read at work. One day, as I walked over to ask a favor, I noticed the book sitting on the desk was "Learning To Say No."

This week, it's "Dealing With Difficult People."

How 'bout them passive-aggressive apples.

On a related note, here's a copy/paste from the McSweeney's submission reject files*:

Self help book or Flaming Lips song?

1. Okay I'll Admit That I Really Don't Understand
2. Thirty-Five Thousand Feet of Despair
3. A Bright Red Scream
4. A Child Called "It"
5. Becoming Real
6. Race For The Prize
7. Feeling Yourself Disintegrate
8. Self Matters
9. Are You a Hypnotist?
10. Who Moved My Cheese?
11. How Full is Your Bucket?
12. Do You Realize?
13. Prescription: Love
14. Michael, Time to Wake Up
15. Toxic Parents
16. Right Now
17. The Last Drop of Morning Dew
18. Sink Reflections


Flaming Lips Song: 1, 2, 6, 7, 9, 12, 13, 14, 16, 17
Self-help Book: 3, 4, 5, 8, 12, 11, 15, 18

*I'm sure someone's said this before, but I've thought there should be a McSweeney's reject website. Rejects from the journal which started by only publishing items rejected by other literary journals. (!) Ow, that hurt my head.

7 Comments:

Blogger caseymichael said...

Last week, during breaks at work, I was reading both Mike Mignola's "Hellboy: Conqueror Worm" and Alan Watts's "Myth And Ritual In Christianity".

Wednesday, June 08, 2005 4:20:00 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

I can only hope you read the Alan Watts book in full view of the girl who wears the "Sacrifice" t-shirt to work.

Thursday, June 09, 2005 11:05:00 AM  
Blogger trixievw said...

niki g you are EVIL.

i applaud that.

Thursday, June 09, 2005 11:50:00 AM  
Blogger Butik said...

passive agressive is deadly...I never really didn't realize there is such a thing until I came to America.

Thursday, June 09, 2005 11:53:00 AM  
Blogger caseymichael said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Thursday, June 09, 2005 11:58:00 AM  
Blogger caseymichael said...

Sigh. Today, she's wearing her white UGA baseball cap with a cute s/s tee. Someone "SACRIFICE" me!

Thursday, June 09, 2005 12:01:00 PM  
Blogger Michael Hickerson said...

Ya know, I've always wondered if there should be a Dummies book for self-help. Ya know, the Dummies Guide to Self-Help Books.

It can sit there right on the same shelf as Dummies Books for Dummies.

Friday, June 10, 2005 9:34:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker
.... ----