Sunday, May 29, 2005

Where am I going this summer?

Jess' comment reminded me of a question that's been asked a bunch recently: where am I living/what am I doing this summer?

Boringly, I must report that like a "normal" grad student I will be here, workin' in the lab, same ol' same ol' all summer long.

Which is a little depressing after the fun and excitement of last summer.

But coming up, I do have a three-day conference, mid-Junish, in exotic KENTUCKY's Lake Cumberland Park area. Ooooooooooooh!

Giving a talk for that one, and the three of us (the boss, the postdoc, and myself) made our talk titles variations of sci-fi movie titles. And all following that "serious title - colon - punny phrase" format so ubiquitous among the academics. Total cheese. It was peer pressure. They started it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

That has to be the lot of most folks in your position, but the rest of life goes on. There's the future to look forward to, and, of course, I know you'll make the most of the free time and opportunities you have for fun and travel.

Remember, you can always pop up here for a weekend visit, if nothing else! :)

Sunday, May 29, 2005 9:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm telling you Australia, we should go:

http://www.australia.com/deals/Qantas_Airpass_flashV2/Deals_Mega_Campaign_STD.aust?L=en&C=US

-Cody

Monday, May 30, 2005 2:28:00 AM  
Blogger Michael Hickerson said...

So, what is your cheezy sf title for the talk?

Monday, May 30, 2005 10:55:00 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Jess: What a sweet note! Thank you.

Cody: No.

Michael: Well, these are only kind of funny if you know what they're about... and they're not even that good when you do. But I'll share anyway, with (protein) names changed to protect the innocent (read: confidentiality of research until they appear on a database somewhere)

Kinase Regulation of (X): Episode I - [deletia], the Phantom Kinase.

Kinase Regulation of (X): Episode II - Attack of the (Y) Clones.

Interaction of (This) and (That): Close Encounters of the Ubiquitinating Kind?


...see? Toldya.

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 1:50:00 AM  
Blogger Mr. Roboto said...

That style of titling serious research articles was getting really popular when I was in law school. Every single article I read followed that stupid format. Glad to see somebody making fun of it from the "inside."

Sunday, June 05, 2005 11:08:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker
.... ----