Thursday, March 31, 2005

Ah, RadioShack. Sometimes, so handy.

Just when it seems like Radio Shack has become just a low-class sub-bourgie Sharper Image -- shitty electronics, at one-third the cost -- it just pulls through and makes me so happy. I can stumble in with some electronic widget or two, and say "Uh, I need these to connect!" and presto, a cable or cable-widget-adapter is procured from the depths of their storeroom. Or I can come in and be utterly vague, saying something like, "I need a thing that makes this record this, into here." And whaddyaknow they got one.

Because that's what I like to think of RadioShack as. Not pushers of Sprint PCS phones or digital tire pressure gauges. Just a mere shack, filled with radios. Or radio parts, wires and obscure electronic parts that you never think you'll need, but you never know. And, staffed with employees knowledgable enough to solve my simple yet odd connectivity issues. Joy.

In other words, my life has reached a new level of pathetic if I am writing about how I got excited over a trip to the frickin' RadioShack. Good. Lord.

On a semi-related note, I recently learned that most states only require one party to be notified if you're recording phone conversations. I always thought the prevailing rule was that everyone on the line had to notified. Hm.

No, I'm not recording your phone calls. I can though.

3 Comments:

Blogger Michael Hickerson said...

When I was younger, Radio Shack had the free battery club...you got a card, came in and once a month you got a free battery.

I thought it was pretty neat. Do they still do that?

Thursday, March 31, 2005 11:20:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Think RadioShack is cool? Next time you need a random electronics part, head to Eddie Warner downtown. (Very near Mercy Lounge.) That place is no-bullshit, but they have it all, are helpful, and cheaper too, I think. And you can run your fingers through open bins of various connectors and adapters like peanuts in the barrel at the supermarket when you were a kid!

Thursday, March 31, 2005 2:11:00 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

ooh. comments.

M: So much for the free battery club... they forgot to remind me to get any, actually.

D: Alright! I was hoping someone would clue me in to where the real geeks go! Thanks, real geek! (hee.)

J: Hey, which reminds me... what ever happened to *my* Tandy? I had one in Atlanta at one point. I, too, probably have the dot-matrix printer (and dust cover) in NJ...

Sunday, April 03, 2005 6:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker
.... ----